July 24th, 2020 by Fix Auto USA
The debate between manual and automatic transmission cars is ongoing. To determine which option best suits you, let’s examine some of the key questions surrounding this debate.
What Is the Difference Between Manual and Automatic Transmissions?
Your car’s transmission applies power from the engine and enables your vehicle to move in different directions. It also controls your car wheels’ direction and your vehicle’s speed.
If your car’s transmission is manual, your vehicle has a clutch pedal and shift knob. With a manual transmission, you need to physically shift the transmission into different gears to operate your car. Together, you can use the clutch pedal and shift knob to reach your desired speed and move in the proper direction.
Comparatively, a car with an automatic transmission lacks a clutch pedal and shift knob. The automatic transmission performs the necessary gear changes on its own. As such, you only need to focus on driving your car to the best of your ability while your automatic transmission helps you travel at your intended speed and in the right direction.
Are Automatic Cars Safer Than Manual Vehicles?
Car safety depends on the driver, not the transmission of their vehicle. Although a car with a manual transmission requires more work to operate than an automatic vehicle, how a driver manages operations behind the wheel has far-flung effects on their ability to stay safe.
Ultimately, drivers of manual transmission cars must learn the ins and outs of operating a clutch and shift knob while navigating the road. They may require additional training to ensure they can operate a clutch and shift knob — and avoid stalling out while driving uphill and other problems that can plague inexperienced drivers of manual cars.
Automatic Transmission vs. Manual Transmission: Which Option Is Better?
Drivers may prefer an automatic over manual transmission, or vice versa. To decide which one is the best option, a driver must consider the pros and cons of both types of transmissions.
Some of the reasons why drivers often choose cars with an automatic transmission include:
- Safety: Whereas a manual transmission car requires a driver to keep one hand on the wheel and one hand on the shift knob, an automatic transmission vehicle ensures a driver can keep both hands on the wheel at all times.
- Wide Range of Options: The number of car makes and models available with manual transmissions has declined over the past few years. Meanwhile, the number of car makes and models with automatic transmissions continues to grow.
- Easy to Control: Whereas a manual transmission car requires a driver to press and depress the clutch and shift the vehicle at a precise time to avoid stalling, drivers of automatic transmission cars don’t have to worry about these issues.
- Gas Mileage: Automatic transmission cars tend to offer better gas mileage than their manual counterparts.
On the other hand, some of the reasons why drivers select manual transmission cars include:
- Cost: Manual transmission cars are frequently more affordable than automatic transmission vehicles.
- Fuel Efficiency: Manual cars equipped with a dual-clutch transmission may be more fuel-efficient than vehicles with an automatic transmission.
- Full Control: Cars with a manual transmission offer unprecedented control over their vehicles’ gears and when to shift.
- Fewer Repairs: Manual transmission cars often require less maintenance than those with automatic transmissions.
The best way to decide between a manual and automatic transmission may be to test drive both options. If you find you prefer a manual or automatic transmission, you can pick up a car with the right transmission to accommodate your driving preferences.
Enjoy Comprehensive Car Repairs from Fix Auto
If you get in an accident, no matter if you have a manual or automatic transmission in your car, the Fix Auto team of courteous, knowledgeable automotive professionals are here to assist you. Bring your vehicle to the nearest Fix Auto location and leave it in good hands. To learn more or to schedule a service appointment, please call us today at 1-800-INFO-FIX.